During some seasons of life, it seems almost impossible to find a moment to take a breath and unwind. We forget to let ourselves relax. We forget to love ourselves. We forget to pray. We forget to remind ourselves of truth. We forget because we’re busy doing, and doing, and doing. But God wants us to pause. As I’ve been praying for refreshment in my busy season, God has been teaching me. When I think of what refreshes my soul, a few things come to mind:
- Remind yourself of truth. When I’m feeling down, drained, and dispirited, turning to the truth of our Creator never fails to lift me back up again. Turn to your favorite Scripture. Start a new bible study. Ask the Lord to meet you in your current state. Remind yourself of the bigger purpose on this earth.
- Be kind to yourself. You are a unique creation made in the image of God. Tell yourself you are beautiful, and believe it. Admire your body. Compliment your character. Love yourself because the Lord loves you.
- Appreciate the people in your life. Make a list of the people in your life. There is something to be thankful for about each person on your list. God has placed each and every one of them in your life for a reason; it’s no coincidence.
- Listen to your favorite music. Throw it back with your favorite songs. Play some relaxing tunes. Your options are endless when it comes to music. Play your favorite worship songs, and listen to the words.
- Read a book. I used to have a love-hate relationship with reading – maybe because I associated reading with textbooks only. But choose a book you’ve been wanting to read and read the whole thing over the next few weeks. Ending the day with reading a good book definitely beats scrolling Facebook.
- Extend forgiveness to yourself. Maybe you need to start today with a clean slate. Forgive yourself because our God forgives you. Don’t dwell on the past. You can’t move forward when you are constantly looking back.
- Invest in yourself. Make your favorite food. Take a bubble bath. Light a candle and read a magazine. Go on a walk and enjoy the nice weather. Do what relaxes you.
- Unplug. I don’t know about you, but it feels so good to get off my phone and computer for a while. To quit looking at and thinking about what everyone else is doing. To quit comparing my life to others. Give your eyes a break from the bright little screen that is constantly sucking you in. Don’t let your screen have control over you. Unplug.
- Be intentional about spending time with people. Pay attention to the people you are with. Put your phone away – you don’t have to take a picture and post it every time you’re with a friend. Spend quality time with the people you love. Live in the moment with them. Be intentional.
- Enjoy a sunset. Nothing refreshes my soul quite like a beautiful sunset. It’s so fascinating to me that every day, the sunset looks different. Sunsets remind me of God’s people: individual, unique, and beautiful.
- Do something that makes you feel alive. Whether that’s running a marathon, cooking, playing a board game, or watching your favorite tv show, do it. Choose aliveness.
What refreshes your soul?